Investigations Frequently Asked Questions

Rev 11/28/07

   1. What are the qualifications for a licensure with regard to criminal history?

Applicants are encouraged to review the eligibility criteria in Section 1702.113 of the Private Security Act, and Board administrative rules 35.42 through 35.46 (and all other provisions applicable to the specific license being sought).  These can be found at the link for “Statutes and Rules”

The eligibility criteria have recently changed.  Please refer to the materials provided elsewhere on this website, under the links for “New Legislation for PSB” and “Statutes and Rules”  Specifically, we would suggest that you review the document entitled “New Eligibility Criteria,” which can be found at the link for “New Legislation for PSB.”

   2. Will I meet the eligibility requirements if I have been granted a Governor’s Pardon?

You may meet the eligibility requirements only if your pardon was granted for a wrongful conviction or proof of innocence.

   3. Will I meet the eligibility requirements if I have been granted deferred adjudication probation?
  • You may meet the eligibility requirements if you have successfully completed deferred adjudication probation.
  • You are ineligible if you have not yet completed deferred adjudication probation.

   4. Will I meet the eligibility requirements if I successfully completed probation, received a conviction set-aside, and had the charges dismissed?

No. A conviction “set-aside” and subsequent dismissal of the charges remains a conviction under Section 1702.371 of the Occupations Code.

   5. What happens if I fail to surrender my license following notification of my suspension or revocation?

Failure to comply is a Class A misdemeanor. If arrested and convicted, you will be disqualified until the 20th anniversary of your conviction.

   6. Am I required to surrender my driver license too?

No. The Private Security Bureau has suspended your license to work in the private security, locksmith or investigation industry.

   7. My Commissioned Security Officer license has been summarily suspended, revoked, or denied. May I work as a Non-Commissioned Security Officer?

No. Summary actions are based on disqualifying criminal histories, and the same criminal history criteria apply to all registrations under the Private Security Act.

   8. Why have I been suspended or denied if my case has not gone to court?

According to the Occupations Code Chapter 1702, Section 1702.364 (a), the Private Security Bureau has the authority to summarily suspend a license or summarily deny an application on receiving written notice from the Texas Department of Public Safety or another law enforcement that an individual has been charged with a Class B misdemeanor, Class A misdemeanor or felony.

   9. Where do I get documents to clear my suspension or denial?

If you were charged with a misdemeanor, contact the County Clerk; or if the charge was classified as a felony, contact the District Clerk from the county of jurisdiction. You will need to request a copy of the final disposition, including the judgment, sentence or dismissal.

   10. Do I need a copy of my notice of summary action when I fax the documents?

Yes. The notice letter facilitates the processing of your documents. If the letter has been lost, you will need to include your full name and date of birth on a cover sheet when faxing your documents.

   11. Do I need to submit court documents if I have ever been arrested for a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor, when applying for an original application for a registration license?

Yes. We will need such documents in order to verify the disposition of the case. When submitting your original application, please attach your supporting court documents if you answered “yes” to having been arrested for a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor.

   12. I have my court documents, now what do I do?
  • Fax your court documents to the attention of the Criminal History Section at (512) 424-7729 or;
  • Mail to the Private Security Bureau, PO Box 4087, Austin, Texas 78752
  • Note: to ensure your documents are processed within 48 hours or 2 days after receipt, you must also include a copy of your order of summary suspension or denial. You may check your status by looking for the header “Searches” and select “Search Individual” on our website at

   13. What if the documents I submitted are insufficient for the reinstatement of my license?

The Private Security Bureau will send a letter to you and your current employer requesting additional information.

   14. How will I know my license has been reinstated?

   16. How do I file a complaint (against an employer or contractor)?

Please complete and submit form PSB-22 (PDF) (Complaint Form) and fax to (512) 424-7729 or mail it to P O Box 4087, Austin, TX 78773. You can also obtain this form from our website at

   17. How do I get copies of my paperwork, certificates, files, etc?

Please submit a detailed request in writing to the Open Records Coordinator and fax this information to (512) 424-7221 or mail to Texas Department of Public Safety, PO Box 4087, Austin, TX 78773.

Return to Top