Prescription Frequently Asked Questions

   Question: What is the cost for prescriptions?

Answer: All (single or triplicate copies) prescription forms are currently $9.00 per 100 forms.

   Question: Why can’t you print any address I request on the forms?

Answer: The forms are printed based upon your controlled substances registration. That registration contains the address you provided and is printed on your prescriptions.

   Question: How are prescriptions mailed?

Answer: Single prescriptions are sent via USPS with a signature required.

It is important that someone be available to receive the prescriptions when they are delivered.

   Question: How long does it take to receive prescriptions?

Answer: The order forms all say to allow 30 days for delivery; however, our turn-a-round time is usually much less.

   Question: Do I need official prescriptions for each of my office locations?

Answer: No. As long as the pre-printed DPS and DEA numbers are correct and current, the prescriptions can be used anywhere. This applies not only to multiple locations, but also when offices have moved, causing a change in address.

   Question: What should I do with triplicate forms?

Answer: The triplicate prescription form is still a valid official prescription for Schedule II controlled substances. However, if the preprinted DPS registration number is no longer valid, then the unused and voided forms should be returned to the Department of Public Safety, Texas Prescription Program. Used copies (pink) can be destroyed.

   Question: Can I use another doctor’s official prescriptions?

Answer: No. The forms are not transferable.

   Question: What are the new laws regarding faxed prescriptions?

Answer: A pharmacist may dispense a Schedule II controlled substance pursuant to a facsimile copy of an official prescription completed in the manner required by Section 481.074(0) and transmitted by the practitioner or the practitioner's agent to the pharmacy if:

  1. The prescription is written for:
    1. a Schedule II narcotic or nonnarcotic substance for a patient in a long-term care facility (LTCF), and the practitioner notes on the prescription "LTCF patient";
    2. a Schedule II narcotic product to be compounded for the direct administration to a patient by parenteral, intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous, or intraspinal infusion; or
    3. a Schedule II narcotic substance for a patient with a medical diagnosis documenting a terminal illness or a patient enrolled in a hospice care program certified or paid for by Medicare under Title XVIII, Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. Section 1395 et seq.), as amended, by Medicaid, or by a hospice program that is licensed under Chapter 142, and the practitioner or the practitioner's agent notes on the prescription "terminally ill" or "hospice patient"; and
  2. After transmitting the prescription, the prescribing practitioner or the practitioner's agent:
    1. writes across the face of the official prescription "VOID--sent by fax to (name and telephone number of receiving pharmacy)"; and
    2. files the official prescription in the patient's medical records instead of delivering it to the patient.
      On receipt of the prescription, the dispensing pharmacy shall file the facsimile copy of the prescription and shall send information to the director as required by Section 481.075.

   Question: How long does a patient have to fill an official prescription?

Answer: An official prescription, written for a Schedule II controlled substance, must be filled within 21 days after the date the prescription was issued.  If the practitioner issued multiple official prescriptions to a patient, in compliance with Section 481.074(d-1) of the Texas Health and Safety Code, then the prescription must be filled within 21 days after the earliest fill date indicated.

   Question: Where can I verify a practitioner's registration?

   Question: Can the Official Prescription form be used for all controlled substances?

Answer: Yes, the Texas Health and Safety Code does not preclude a practitioner from using the Official Prescription form for any Schedule of controlled substance. The Official Prescription form is required on all Schedule II controlled substance prescriptions.

   Question: Am I required to report thefts or losses of Official Prescription forms?

Answer: Yes, Texas law requires a registrant to report any theft or loss of an Official Prescription form.  The details of the theft or loss must be provided to the Texas Prescription Program.

   Question: How can a pharmacy obtain a waiver from electronic reporting?

Answer:Under some circumstances, a pharmacy may obtain a waiver from electronic reporting of controlled substance prescription information. When a waiver is granted, the pharmacy is not exempted from complying with the law, but is required to report by an alternate method, approved by the Department.

Waivers must be requested from the Texas Prescription Program annually and in writing. The following circumstances have been identified as qualifications for waivers:

  • Minimum prescription threshold
  • Inadequate technology in the pharmacy

If pharmacists identify other issues, they may request a waiver by fully explaining the circumstances.

   Question: Can controlled substance prescriptions be prescribed electronically?

Answer: Both Texas and Federal law allow controlled substance medications to be prescribed electronically provided the requirements under Federal have been met.  For additional information on the federal law and electronic requirements, go to:

   Question: Am I required to report thefts or losses of controlled substances?

Answer:Yes, Both Texas and Federal law require a registrant to report any theft or loss of a controlled substance. The report can be made on the Theft/Loss form or online on the Drug Enforcement Administration’s website.  If the report is created on the DEA website, a copy must be sent to the Texas Prescription Program.