Inspector Qualifications and Training
Qualifications for a person seeking certification as a certified state inspector:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicant must pass a background check. See 37 TAC §23.15 agency rule for more details.
- Attend an inspector training course offered by DPS
- Submit a written application;
- Pass a written inspector examination;
- Pass a practical exam, demonstrating proficiency in the vehicle inspection process;
Steps to take if you are interested in becoming a certified state inspector:
Persons wanting to become certified to conduct vehicle inspections should contact the local DPS Vehicle Inspection Office for scheduling of either:
- the four hour safety inspector's course;
- the four hour commercial inspector's course; or
- the eight hour safety and emissions inspector's course.
Once the required course curriculum is completed, applicant will be given a written examination and inspector certification application.
Inspector study guide
- Initial Inspector License fee: $25
- Renewal License fee: $25
Renewal Period: Inspector renewal occurs August 31 of even numbered years