Inspector Qualifications and Training
Qualifications for a person seeking certification as a certified state inspector:
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old
- Applicant must pass a background check. See 37 TAC §23.5 for more details.
- Attend a DPS-approved Inspector Training Course
- Submit online application
- Pass a written inspector examination
- Pass a practical exam, demonstrating proficiency in the Vehicle Inspection process
Steps to take if you are interested in becoming a certified state inspector:
Persons wanting to become certified to conduct vehicle inspections should contact the local DPS Vehicle Inspection Office for scheduling of either:
- four-hour safety inspector's course
- four-hour commercial inspector's course
- eight-hour safety and emissions inspector's course
Once the required course curriculum is completed, the applicant will be given a written examination.
Please see the Inspector Study Guide for study and training information
- Initial inspector license fee: $25
- Renewal license fee: $25
Inspector renewal period occurs August 31 of even numbered years.