The registration fee for a commercial motor vehicle as a farm vehicle is 50 percent of the applicable fee under Section 502.162.
The vehicle may be used for:
- Transporting the person’s own poultry, dairy, livestock, livestock products, timber in its natural state, or farm products to market or another place for sale or processing.
- Transporting laborers from their place of residence to the owner’s farm or ranch.
- Transporting without charge, materials, tools, equipment, or supplies from the place of purchase or storage to the owner’s farm or ranch exclusively for the owner’s use or for use on the farm or ranch.
- Transporting the owner’s family:
to attend church or school:
to visit a doctor for medical treatment or supplies: or
for other necessities of the home or family.
- May not use a vehicle registered under this section in connection with gainful employment other than farming or ranching.
- May not use a vehicle with a "FARM TRUCK" license plate to tow a trailer with a "TOKEN TRAILER" license plate.
An owner is not required to register a farm trailer or farm semitrailer that has a gross weight of 4,000 pounds or less.
A vehicle owner may obtain a "FARM TRAILER" license plate for a farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a gross of more
than 4,000 pounds but not more than 34,000 pounds. The fee for a "FARM TRAILER" license plate is $5.00 per year.
A farm trailer or farm semitrailer with a "FARM TRAILER" license plate is exempt from the state inspection certificate
requirements. "FARM TRAILER" license plates may only be used on farm trailers and farm semitrailers used exclusively to transport
- seasonally harvested agricultural products or livestock from the place of production to the place of processing, market, storage: or
- farm supplies from the place of loading to the farm.
This section also applies to:
- a farm trailer or farm semitrailer owned by a cotton gin and used exclusively to transport agricultural products without charge from the place of production to the place of processing, market, or storage.
- a trailer used exclusively to transport fertilizer without charge form a place of supply or storage to a farm.
- a trailer used exclusively to transport cottonseed without charge from a place of supply or storage to a farm or place of processing.
This section does not apply to a farm trailer or farm semitrailer that:
- is used for hire; or
- has metal tires operating in contact with the highway: or
- is not equipped with an adequate hitch pinned or locked so that it will remain securely engaged to the towing vehicle while in motion; or
- is not operated and equipped in compliance with all other law.