Emergency Kits for Texans with Functional and Access Needs
Gulf Coast residents with functional and access needs – including people who are disabled or medically fragile – should PLAN IN ADVANCE for storm season. If you have functional and/or access needs, live in an evacuation zone and do not have friends or family to help you leave, register IN ADVANCE for assisted
transportation by dialing 2-1-1.
This service is for people who cannot make other transportation arrangements. If you want to register for assisted transportation and want to verify that you live in an evacuation zone, you may contact 2-1-1.
Here is an evacuation checklist for persons with functional and access needs:
- Medical equipment and assistive devices (glasses, hearing aid, catheters, augmentative communication devices, cane, wheelchair, scooter, walker, dressing aids, oxygen, tubing, feeding supplies, drinking straws, etc.) Label each with your name and contact information. Be sure to have extra batteries and chargers.
- List of model numbers or serial numbers of medical devices and equipment.
- Medical alert tags or bracelets and written description of your disability-related or health care conditions.
- Medications and copies of all prescriptions, including a list of each prescription name, dosage, frequency, prescribing doctor and pharmacy used. Some medications may need to be refrigerated; if so, bring a cooler with an ice pack or other coolant system.
- Hygiene supplies, including any special requirements like absorbent pads. Personal grooming items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, towel, washcloth, comb, brush.
- Phone numbers and names of your physicians or other health care providers, health insurance information, emergency contact information including your support network members.
- Supplies for a service animal including food, identification tags, proof of up-to-date vaccinations and veterinarian contact.
For more information visit: