Winter Storm Preparedness: Supplies
Emergency supplies you will need for a winter or ice storm are similar to supplies you will need in any
emergency – but there are some additional items. These include kitty litter or sand to keep sidewalks and
steps clear of ice, a windshield scraper for the car, warm clothes and extra blankets.
Winterize your vehicle before a storm. Keep the gas tank full to prevent the fuel line from freezing. In a
severe ice storm, lines may be down and power out for a week or more.
Here is a check list that will serve you well in emergencies:
- One-week supply of non-perishable food, one gallon of bottled water per person per day, coolers for
food and ice storage
- Credit cards and cash (banks and ATMs may not have power)
- Battery-operated radio, NOAA Weather Radio and extra batteries or hand crank radio, cell phones and
- First-aid kit, seven-day supply of prescription medications, copies of prescriptions, special medical
items, hearing aids and batteries, eyeglasses
- Manual can opener, knife, tools, booster cables, fire extinguisher, duct tape, tarp, rope, flashlight with
- Supplies for babies, the elderly, family members with special health care needs, and food and supplies
For additional winter weather preparedness information, click on: