Information for the News Media

Public Information Office
(512) 424-2080

March 31, 2005

DPS Registered Sex Offender Database Available Online

To search for any registered sex offenders living in your area--FOR FREE--go to the DPS Crime Records Web site ( and click on the link that says “Sex Offender Registry” located on the right-hand side of the page. You must read the caveats and click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Once inside the website, you may search by offender name or zip code, or you may do an area search using mapping software. Information on registered sex offenders includes their name and address, a photo, the law enforcement agency where the offender is registered and information about the offense(s) for which the offender was required to register as a sex offender.

Please note that the local law enforcement agency where a sex offender is registered will always have the most up-to-date information regarding the sex offender. Once the sex offender registers with the local agency, that agency will then pass the information along to DPS for inclusion in the statewide database.

The DPS maintains files based on registration information submitted by criminal justice agencies and represents a statewide source of information on sex offenders required by law to register. DPS cannot guarantee the records you obtain through this site relate to the person about whom you are seeking information. Searches based on names, dates of birth and other alphanumeric identifiers are not always accurate. The only way to positively link someone to a sex offender record is through fingerprint verification.

DPS cautions that you should never rely solely on a list of convicted sex offenders to ensure the safety of your children. You should monitor who has access to your children and follow up on anything that seems “strange” about their interaction. Anytime there is a reasonable concern that this person may be about to reoffend or may possibly have reoffended, especially against children, you should contact your local law enforcement agency.

If you have information that a registered sex offender is not actually using the address listed on the DPS website, you should contact the local law enforcement agency where the sex offender is registered. The registering agency is listed in the specific Sex Offender Registration information.