Skip to main content

Veteran Services

Fee Exemption for Disabled Veterans

A Texas driver license or ID card may be provided free-of-charge to a veteran of the United States Armed Forces if the veteran:

  1. Was honorably discharged
  2. Has a service-related disability of at least 60 percent
  3. Receives compensation from the United States because of the disability
  4. Is not subject to sex offender registration requirements

NOTE: The driver license fee exemption does not apply to commercial driver licenses.

Residency Addresses outside of Texas
During the most recent Public Safety Commission meeting held on February 12, 2015, an amendment to the Texas Administrative Code concerning Addresses was adopted. 37 TAC Section 15.25 concerning Addresses was amended to allow the spouses and dependents of military personnel to list a residency address outside of Texas. The language was also updated within the rule to reflect Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) instead of Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE). This rule amendment will become effective on March 5, 2015.

Verification of Disability
To qualify for a fee exemption, veterans must present documents to verify their disability status while at the driver license office. If renewing by mail, the verification documents must be included with the renewal invitation. Once the disability status is established, the veteran will be eligible to use online services for fee-exempt driver license transactions.

To verify the disability, please present one of the following:

  1. A signed letter on disability status issued by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs; or
  2. Official documents certifying conditions 1, 2, and 3 above.*

*If a veteran receives disability compensation but does not have a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, verification of the disability must be provided by the veteran’s branch of military service.

Veteran Designation for Driver Licenses and Identification cards

DPS offers a VETERAN designation printed on the face of driver licenses and identification cards for qualifying veterans.

To be eligible for the veteran designation, an individual must be a veteran who was honorably discharged.

For this purpose, a veteran is someone who served in the:

Verification of Veteran and Discharge Status
Veterans must visit a driver license office and present their DD-214, DD-215, NGB-22, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs disability letter, or U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Proof of Service/Verification of Honorable Service Card. The document can be a copy or an original, but it must show that the veteran received an honorable discharge or a general discharge (under honorable conditions). The veteran must provide a written request for the designation.

Notice:  Driver License offices now accept the new U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Proof of Service /Verification of Honorable Service Cardfor Veteran designation. For questions on how to obtain this card, please visit or

Veterans Out-of-State
Veterans who are out of the state may request the veteran designation by mailing the following:

  1. Out-of-state/country application
  2. Copy of DD-214 or DD-215
  3. Proof of social security number
  4. Texas driver license or ID card Renewal/Replacement application
  5. Explanation of Eye Specialist (form required only if renewing a driver license)
  6. Required fee* (Please send a check, money order or cashier’s check payable to TX DPS.)

*The veteran designation is free-of-charge when applying for an original/renewal driver license or when making a change to a license. Veterans who are only adding a designation must pay the required fee for a duplicate license.

Mailing Address:

Texas Department of Public Safety
Central Cash Receiving
P.O. Box 15999
Austin, TX 78761-5999

Disabled Veterans
Veterans that qualify for a fee-exempt driver license as outlined in the “Fee Exemption for Disabled Veterans” section will not be charged the duplicate license fee to add the veteran designation.

TVC Logo

Notice:   Veteran Contribution
When you apply for an original or renewal driver license or personal identification card, you may now make a voluntary contribution in any amount to the Fund for Veterans' Assistance.  For more information concerning these contributions, please visit the Texas Veterans Commission website at