New to Texas
Vehicle registration and inspection are separate processes. The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) oversees vehicle registration and DPS supervises the vehicle inspection program.
- New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:
- Get a vehicle inspection
- Register and title their vehicle
- The vehicle must pass inspection before it can be registered and titled.
- Both the registration and inspection process require proof of financial responsibility
Texas has both a safety inspection program and an emissions (I/M) program. If you present your vehicle for inspection in one of the emissions counties it will receive a safety & emissions test.
- Counties participating in the emissions (I/M) program include:
Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, El Paso, Travis, and Williamson counties.