10.01 Duties and Responsibilities
1. Will conduct, as promptly as possible, a thorough and efficient inspection of any vehicle for which the station holds an endorsement to inspect. Such inspection must be performed in the manner prescribed by the Department.
2. Will affix an official inspection certificate to an approved vehicle. The certified inspector is placing a “certificate of safety” on that vehicle indicating the vehicle has passed the standards of the Texas Vehicle Inspection Program.
3. Owes a duty to oneself since a life may be jeopardized by errors or carelessness on their part. An inspector owes a duty to their family and to the vehicle owners and operators, for death or serious injury may result if the inspector is indifferent to their duty.
4. Will conduct honest and thorough vehicle identification number certifications and complete the forms only at the official inspection station for vehicles personally inspected in accordance with the rules and regulations contained in this manual.
5. Owes a duty to their employer who has pledged to assist in safeguarding the lives of motorists by ensuring against the operation of unsafe vehicles.
6. Will assume this responsibility and is willing to perform their duty to the very best of their ability and to place safety first and foremost, which is the primary intent of the law.
7. After completing the inspection, the inspector will inform the owner or operator of any equipment that marginally meets inspection requirements. This should include possible future repairs or adjustments which may be necessary to keep the vehicle in safe operating condition.
8. See that required equipment on the vehicle is of an acceptable type, is properly adjusted, and meets Department standards.
9. Shall properly discharge their duties at an Official Vehicle Inspection Station and will, at all times, have a Rules and Regulations Manual immediately available for reference.
10. In performing the inspection, the inspectors will remember they assume full responsibility for the quality of the inspection when signing the safety inspection certificate or identification certificate and placing their name on the inspection station report.
11. In completing the reverse side of the inspection certificate and the station weekly report book an inspector’s signature is required and cannot be printed.
12. Will always remember they have been certified because they have demonstrated their knowledge, ability, honesty, and integrity when performing safety inspections.
13. Be aware that any deviation from the established rules, regulations, and/or procedures committed by the certified inspector is a violation of the law or regulation.
14. Will refrain from the use of alcohol.
15. Will refrain from the use of drugs in any degree except when prescribed by a licensed physician, providing that normal faculties shall not be impaired.
16. Will make inspections within a reasonable length of time after the vehicle is presented and the inspector will not cause undue delay to the vehicle operator. When an inspection cannot be performed immediately for a justified reason, a proper explanation will be given to the customer as to the reason for the delay in a courteous manner.
17. Will notify the Department representative immediately if driver’s license has been suspended or revoked.
18. Will conduct all inspections and affix all inspection certificates at the time of inspection in the approved inspection area of the inspection station location designated on the Certificate of Appointment, with the exception of the road test.
19. Shall always obtain authorization from the vehicle owner or operator prior to making any repairs or adjustments.
20. Will not delegate responsibility of the proper and thorough inspection to any other person.
21. Shall have complete control of the vehicle to be tested during the entire test procedure.
22. Shall maintain a clean and orderly appearance and be courteous and patient in contacts with the public.
23. Will make an actual physical check of vehicle identification numbers paying particular attention to make sure the number is accurate in all cases on both safety inspection certificates and identification certificates.