20.01 Cars, Trucks, Buses, and School Buses (Windshield-Type)
1. Complete the information required on the back side of the certificate with a laundry marking pen, permanent ink pen or typewriter; signature required by certified inspector making the inspection.
2. To avoid damage to the pressure sensitive “dry mount decal” type certificate, remove protective face paper slowly from adhesive side of certificate.
3. Place number inserts with adhesive side up in the location reserved for that purpose on the inspection certificate. Number inserts should correspond with the number of the month during which inspection is made and the year in which the inspection certificate is to expire.
4. Certificates are pressure sensitive and must be handled very carefully. They cannot be removed or repositioned after they are placed on any surface.
5. Be sure that the windshield is free of any oily film. If the surface is wet, be sure to dry it before applying the certificate.
6. Place certificate in position on a clean, dry surface and apply firmly until tightly affixed to the surface, right side up.
a. Apply evenly and smooth down thoroughly to remove all air bubbles between certificates and surface.
b. Use a plastic or hard rubber squeegee for best results.
7. Many of the newer vehicles are equipped with new inner shield windshields which have a transparent sheet of plastic on the inner surface. This windshield requires special care when removing decals or stickers.
8. The proper application of any inspection certificate is very important to ensure adherence.
20.02 Motor Vehicles With Windshields (Cars, Trucks, Buses, and School Buses).
If the motor vehicle has a windshield, the inspection certificate shall be attached firmly to the lower left-hand inside corner of the windshield as viewed from the driver’s seat as close to the frame as possible. The certificate must be applied to the inside of the windshield and can only be affixed to a vehicle in the approved inspection area of the Official Vehicle Inspection Station by the certified inspector who made the inspection. Certificates cannot be issued or affixed to vehicles at any other area or location.
Any other certificate, decal, or sticker, such as a parking permit, property owner identification, etc., must be removed if it is in the lower left-hand corner of the windshield where the Texas inspection certificate is required to be affixed. The vehicle owner or operator shall be advised that the Department designates this location for the inspection certificate and that they should obtain a replacement permit or decal and locate it in another location on the vehicle.
Do not remove the old inspection certificate until immediately prior to placing the new certificate on the windshield.
20.03 Motor Vehicles Without Windshields (Cars, Trucks, Buses, and School Buses).
If the motor vehicle is not equipped with a windshield, the certificate will be completed on the reverse side and given to the operator of the vehicle. Instruct owner or operator to keep the certificate in their possession and present it on demand. All inspection stations and certified inspectors are instructed to remove and reverse the face paper and adhere it to the certificate so that it cannot be used again for some other vehicle.
20.04 Certificate Mounting Procedures for Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds
1. On the Vehicle (Optional). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the vehicle’s rear fender or any other visible location on the rear near its license plate.
Place the certificate in place and apply firmly. OR
2. Backing Plate (Optional - to be furnished by cycle owner). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the backing plate which is mounted on the cycle near the license plate for this purpose. Place the certificate in place and apply firmly.
3. Other Provisions - Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds. Reject the vehicle if no fender or optional location is available for applying the inspection certificate.
20.05 Certificate Mounting Procedures for Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, Mobile Homes, and Converter Dolly
1. On the Vehicle (Optional). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the inspection certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on a clean metal surface at or near the left front or side of the trailer. Place the inspection certificate in place and apply firmly. On pole trailers, attach to the left front or side of the rear bolster. OR
2. Metal Plate or Holder - Backing plate or metal certificate holder (optional - to be furnished by vehicle owner). Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the clean metal surface of the plate or holder. The plate or holder should be mounted at or near the left front or side of the trailer. On pole trailers, attach to the left front or side of the rear bolster. On the backing plate, place the inspection certificate in place and apply firmly.
NOTE: On mobile homes and travel trailers the certificate may be mounted on a window located at or near the left front or side of the vehicle.
NOTE: On House Moving Dollies, the owner must furnish a metal backing plate or metal certificate holder which shall be mounted at or near the license plate for the purpose of attaching the certificate.