Inspection certificates issued for new calendar year must be reported on a separate weekly report.
The inspection report forms shall be submitted in the original only to the Department on Monday of each week. Inspection stations issuing both types of certificates will mail reports as required, except report forms will be submitted when trailer and motorcycle inspections have been recorded for the week or a minimum of at least once a month.
Inspection certificate serial numbers will be listed in consecutive numerical order, listing all vehicles inspected as approved or rejected.
When the inspection certificate alphabet prefix or the number sequence changes, skip a line on the inspection station report. A duplicate copy of such reports shall be made and retained for one year by the inspection station for its records. This shall include the current and preceding inspection year.
Immediately notify your supervising Vehicle Inspection Department representative if any inspection certificates are lost or stolen.
Lost, stolen, or voided safety inspection certificates must be shown on the inspection station report in their proper numerical order with a notation as to the disposition. All reports must be neat, legible, and contain the correct information and date for every vehicle inspected. Every item adjusted, replaced, or repaired must be reported and the correct charges listed.
The certified inspector making the inspection shall be responsible for recording the necessary information, including their signature, in the appropriate column on the inspection station report.
Each inspection station will be accountable for each certificate it receives from the Department. Each certificate’s serial number must be shown on the inspection station report as issued or returned to the Austin office for credit at the end of the inspection year.
Inspection station reports should be signed by the person responsible for the Official Vehicle Inspection Station. Failure to submit inspection station reports as required herein shall be grounds for suspension or revocation of station license. Fraudulent entries that deliberately misrepresent an inspection will be sufficient cause to suspend inspection privileges.
Inspection station reports, rejection books, requisitions, etc., will be supplied by the Department representative supervising the inspection station.
The following rules must be followed in preparing and submitting the Vehicle Inspection Station Report
1. The vehicle inspection report must be submitted each Monday for the period covering the previous week if the vehicle inspection station is classed as public, motorcycle, or trailer. Fleet or governmental vehicle inspection stations will submit the vehicle Inspection Station Report monthly.
2. The report must be made in duplicate. The original reports must be mailed to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Vehicle Inspection Records, PO Box 14900, Austin, Texas 78761-4900; the duplicate must be kept in the inspection station file for a permanent record.
3. If more than one page of report is submitted for one week, all sheets must be headed with inspection station number label, (place label in designated area only) name, etc., and signed by someone at the inspection station. (This signature need not be a certified inspector or inspection station owner or operator.) When printing information on VI-8A, please use all capital lettering.
4. The certified inspector performing the inspection shall be responsible for recording the necessary information including his signature in the appropriate box on the inspection station report. Do not use nicknames. The use of ditto marks is not permitted.
5. The true date of the inspection must be entered in the boxes provided on the report. A new report form must be started January 1 of each year.
6. The license plate number that the vehicle is displaying at the time of the inspection must be entered in the space/boxes provided. If there is no license plate on the vehicle at the time of inspection, the word “NONE” will be entered. Out-of-state license, dealer’s numbers, etc., are permissible.
7. The vehicle identification number taken from the vehicle must be entered in the space/boxes provided. If there is no vehicle identification number, the word “NONE” will be entered. If the number is obscured, “OBS” will be entered.
8. The correct year model and code for the make of the vehicle will be entered in the boxes provided.
9. The correct mileage or odometer reading of the vehicle will be entered in the boxes provided.
10. If the vehicle PASSES ALL OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE INSPECTION, nothing will be written in the boxes provided for checking each item of inspection. Boxes are provided for the inspection certificate number. Use the barcode along with the certificate number provided with each book of certificates. If unavailable, then print the certificate number in the boxes provided. VI-30 (out-of-state vehicle identification certificate serial number) must be entered in the boxes provided. THE STATUTORY FEE WILL BE ENTERED AS THE TOTAL CHARGE.
11. If the vehicle FAILS TO PASS ONE OR MORE OF THE REQUIRED ITEMS OF INSPECTION AND THE VEHICLE OWNER OR OPERATOR ELECTS TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPLACEMENTS OR REPAIRS MADE AT YOUR INSPECTION STATION, then enter the number symbol identifying the item in need of repair in the box provided. IN THIS CASE THE CHARGE WILL BE THE STATUTORY FEE PLUS THE CHARGES MADE FOR THE REPLACEMENT OR REPAIRS OF REQUIRED ITEMS OF INSPECTION ONLY.
12. If the vehicle FAILS TO PASS ONE OR MORE OF THE REQUIRED ITEMS OF INSPECTION AND THE VEHICLE OWNER OR OPERATOR ELECTS TO HAVE THE REPAIRS MADE ELSEWHERE, enter the number symbol identifying each item failed in the boxes provided. IN THIS CASE A REJECTION RECEIPT WILL BE ISSUED AND THE TOTAL CHARGE WILL BE THE STATUTORY FEE. Explain the rejection receipt procedure to the vehicle owner or operator. Do not put rejection where certificate number would appear. Leave area blank.
13. If the vehicle described in Rule 12 returns to the same inspection station within fifteen (15) days after the rejection receipt was issued and the vehicle now passes all the requirements, a new line will be entered on the report, the inspection certificate number issued will be shown, leave total charges blank.
14. Do not enter charges made by an outside garage even though the amount of charges is known. NEVER ENTER ANY CHARGE ON THIS REPORT THAT IS FOR ANY OTHER ITEM OTHER THAN REPLACEMENTS OR REPAIRS THAT WERE NECESSARY FOR THE VEHICLE TO PASS INSPECTION.
15. NEW VEHICLES, MOTORCYCLE-TYPE VEHICLES AND ALL TRAILER-TYPE VEHICLES WILL BE REPORTED ON SEPARATE FORM (VI-8A) AND THE CERTIFICATE NUMBER WILL BE RECORDED IN THE APPROPRIATE BOXES. All reports must be originals before mailing to Austin.
16. To void line or certificate, fill in bubble marked “Void.” Do not put “Void” in any of the boxes. Do not draw a line through the boxes. Skip to the next line to begin another entry.
17. Duplicate copies of form VI-8A covering the issuance of annual and motorcycle-trailer inspections will be retained by the vehicle inspection station for its records for a period of one year. Duplicate copies of the report covering the 2 year inspection will be retained for a period of two years.
18. The Texas Vehicle Inspection Act states that it is a violation of the law not to record and report inspections as prescribed by the Department of every inspection made and every inspection certificate issued ( TRC, Section 548.253).